The Wey Valle Community Rail Partnership is an exciting initiative working with South Western Railway (SWR), with the support of the Community Rail Network. Its aims are to encourage greater access to the local area via rail and other sustainable transport options and to develop our local railway stations.
Wey Valley Community Rail Partnership - What do we do?
The Wey Valley Community Partnership aims to:
- Promote the train services at Guildford, Wanborough, Ash Vale, Ash, Aldershot, Farnham, Bentley and Alton
- Encourage partners such as local businesses, community organisations, and volunteers to become more involved with the stations and services.
- Enable the rail industry to work with local tourist attractions to attract more visitors to access the area by train.
- Provide a means to enhancing the environment and facilities at each station.
We work with
- schools, youth organisations and vulnerable adults to provide information about the railway. For example, activities like Try the Train Experiences & Train2Travel which provides interactive train safety workshops to groups (provide links here)
- the local community and SWR, to provide a high standard of infrastructure and aesthetics at all stations. We work with the local community to display art and create gardening projects.
- SWR and Network Rail, to increase rail passenger numbers and improve our services and infrastructure.
- Local authorities, businesses and any stakeholder interested in our work or have ideas which we could implement
Our activities incorporate the Department for Transport’s Community Rail Development Strategy’s 4 pillars:
- Providing a voice for the community
- Promoting sustainable, healthy and accessible travel
- Bringing communities together and supporting diversity and inclusion
- Supporting social and economic development
The full strategy can be found at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/community-rail-development-strategy
- enable local railways to play a larger role in local and regional economic and social regeneration: including projects to enhance tourist, educational, health, cultural and environmental regeneration and development activities.
- encourage greater use of sustainable and environmentally friendly public transport.
How you can help?
- Join the Wey Valley stakeholder or voluntary groups.
- Help with, or sponsor, improvements to a station.
- Provide a service, business or promotion at a station.
- Provide or help to look after flowers and planters at stations.
- Assist with passenger surveys, events, art projects and promotions.
- Improve access to or from stations via bus, cycle, walking or car sharing initiatives.
- Keep stations free of litter and rubbish.
- Organise or lead guided walks or cycle rides from stations.
- Help ‘keep an eye’ on stations in the evening or at weekends.
- Report any damage or anti-social behaviour.
and much more…
Telephone 07988 043870